Lara Croft: Angel of Darkness

Software Developer. Choral singer. Piano player. Icecream fanatic. Fascinated by everything. Learning Russian. Speaks (some) French. Laughs a lot. Bakes chocolate cakes. Theme song: Pretty Pink Ribbon by Cake.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Platyzosteria novae-zelandiae

Tonight I had a hair-raising encounter with a species from another time. I was lifting paper off my printer, and I saw something scuttle under the surface of my desk. I have a transparent (pink) desk, so I looked through it and on the underside of my desk was..... a cockroach. Un cafard.

I hate cockroaches. I met my first one in Dad's coffee cup in Fiji, and had several encounters with them in Tahiti, usually ending up with me screaming on my bed while it scuttled across the floor. Tahiti has a few nasties actually - I saw a centipede once too.

So since Karthik is conveniently present, I demand in an irrational and high-pitched voice that he dispose of it.

Karthik, it turns out, doesn't like cockroaches either. This one was about an inch long, plus waving antenna, black, shiny and narrow. So Karthik asks what I expect him to do. I send him downstairs for a cup, and grab a piece of paper. Then I leave Karthik to do the manly thing and remove the cockroach. 20 minutes later he is still watching it and reluctantly edging closer from time to time. So I use the paper to poke the cockroach until it runs onto the piece of paper and onto my chair. I must add here that I am usually the insect removal person - I have been removing spiders from Jenna's room since I was little, and remove all sorts of interesting things from this flat for Ellen. Including huge green things. Anyway........ eventually I get the cockroach on the middle of the chair and Karthik gently lowers the cup. I slide the paper between the cup and the chair, and we've caught the cockroach! You would think we're doing well here.

Now Karthik makes me pick it up. So I carry the cup, wrapped in paper, to my open second storey window. And now I start to panic. What do I do? I imagine the cockroach escaping and running up my arm... So I gingerly start to unwrap the paper, envisaging shaking it out the window. Then I see a hole between the paper and the cup. The cockroach runs for it. I scream. And drop the cup, paper, and cockroach out the window.

Lara's post-encounter state - pounding heart and trembling. But still alive :)

2 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a commendable effort. I must say I don't have too much experience with roaches, beyond being stuck in a car full of them when we went to pick up some roses for mum, but I was a child and so expected to scream :)

Well it's a beautiful day outside, shame I'm inside studying, although don't feel too sorry for me, I was out this morning reading a book.

I still find this method of communication odd Lara, since I know few of the people you know. But since I have no other method, I guess this is it.

Hope everyone is having a happy day

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sight Lara darling.
I had a gecko running around my car. Godknows what its eating or if it is still alive.

I'm in Cairns now. waiting for a call from a rich american regarding sailing his boat from fiji to thailand. If all goes ahead I'll be crewing with an old asian sailor. and somebody else.
The passage should take about 2 and a half months.
hopefully it'll work.
I'll keep you informed anyway.


ciao Pete.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home