Lara Croft: Angel of Darkness

Software Developer. Choral singer. Piano player. Icecream fanatic. Fascinated by everything. Learning Russian. Speaks (some) French. Laughs a lot. Bakes chocolate cakes. Theme song: Pretty Pink Ribbon by Cake.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Atilla the Hun: Born 406, died 453

The subject line today is in reference to a man feared by many, (in fact no historian has many positive things to say about him), because sometimes I think it is fine to be grumpy. Sure, I'm not going to try and take over the last remnants of any empires, and kill or pillage, but I just thought 'hmm what interesting fact should I share with you today' and Atilla the Hun suited my mood. I have just been to *the dentist*.

Now, normally I like the dentist. Strange you might think but true. Cos they're nice to you, in chch you pay like $50 and they do your xrays, and brush your teeth with the yummy stuff, and poke and prod you and send you away till next year.

However, now I'm in Auckland. I went to one nearby because a) I could walk there and b) I had a voucher for my first visit free. And the dentist was nice. But she didn't brush my teeth at all! Instead she told me I should come back, and spend an hour with a dental hygenist for $130!!!! That's quite a lot, considering today's appointment would normally have been $70. Anyway she also took an xray of me using some big machine, then charged me $54 and I didn't even ask for it or want it! AND THEN she said I had brilliant teeth but needed two tiny wee fillings! Can I trust her? What if she just wants me to spend money? It will cost me $400 to get these done. Yes, $400. And it will require 40 minutes of a Wed evening, and (sadly) injections.

So I might ring some other places and get some quotes to compare it too. I mean - even if I had to taxi there and back surely it'd be less than this!!!! Lisa had her wisdom tooth out for like $150. And next month I have to pay 3 fortnightly rents so I'll be poor anyway.

Also today I tried to donate blood. Persuaded Stephen to come along too. And that turned out to be the only bit of community service I performed since they put the needle in me, started pumping out blood, I felt really hot suddenly, and yucky, and then suddenly fine - by this point I'd apparently fainted, convulsed, and they'd removed the needle and put a fan on me and a cold flannel on my forehead. Dumb. And I ate breakfast, morning tea and lunch.

Work was good though. And now I have a free evening!! So that's very exciting. So I will try to cheer up.

Oh, and I am a prize idiot for cutting up my piano warrantee, thinking I didn't need it anymore, and the full version would not fit in my scrapbook.

And I booked my holiday to Oz after Xmas and was hoping to see Dad's cousin while over there, but he'll be in Thailand. :(

8 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

Well, I don't know where Lisa got her wisdom teeth done. My dentist (in Christchurch) was going to do it for $700-$800. And everytime I go to the dentist it costs me about $120 here in Christchurch. And yeah the dentist has never cleaned my teeth only ever dental nurses, or the hygenist - so maybe I need to start going to the dentist you went to I vaguely remember where it was - were you getting a student discount though?

So that's why I don't go to the dentist very often. But yeah bugger that you need to spend all that money.

And as you know (but others might not) I ended up never getting my wisdom teeth done, waiting a year, then going back and being told I didn't need them out after all.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Hi again Lara! Oops it's lunchtime. I just remembered I said I'd answer your questions. On my blog.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lara, my First Comment on your blog :)


Interesting stuff abt the dentist...my suggestion is get your dental stuff done when you go to India next (which if I remember correctly is sometime soon)

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger LaraCroft said...

Wow a comment from Brendon!!! So so so exciting!!! That makes my day. And two comments from Mindy!! I do feel special. India - maybe in 18 months time? probably need my filling before then :( But I will go when I'm there too :)

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper vs. Dan Abrams
We love it when news anchors get into silly fights . First Anderson Cooper takes some time on his CNN show to dump on FOX and MSNBC for devoting so much time to the Natalee Holloway case.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a russian wife site/blog. It pretty much covers russian wife related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

wow lara you've got lots of blog spam here. you should delete some of those advertising posts. or diasble anonymous comments, just for a few days.

i hope you've had a nice week.

love min

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger LaraCroft said...

I'm leaving the anon comment about Russian wives. I think it would be interesting if one of my friends married a Russian wife so I could practise Russian with them!

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so much to say!

1. This is the infamous Lisa with the cheap dentist. Yes, indeed. 4 years ago I had my first wisdom tooth taken out, along with a general checkup (a basic prod and clean) for $130.
Last month I had my second (and last! yeha) wisdom tooth taken out, without the checkup, but was more expensive because the normal injections wouldn't work so I had to have a special exra-strong injection, so I paid $120. I think it would've been $100 without the extra injection. It's Rangiora Dental Centre, so go check it out ;)

I think mine are cheap because they were upper wisdom teeth that were over half through so they didn't have to be surgically removed like so many people need, it was just a yank.

2. Lara Lara Lara...
You really should not be admitting as a public announcement that you attempted to donate blood again. Because you promised me you would do OTHER things for people than donate because you know full well what it does to you!!!!

3. Apparently Atilla the Hun died of a nosebleed. Damn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home